TRADITIONAL SACRED / CIRCLE DANCE
November 2019 – British Columbia, Canada
With Laura Shannon from Findhorn, Scotland
sharing Greek, Balkan and Armenian dances
which embody an ancient worldview of sustainability,
community, and reverence for the earth.
VICTORIA – November 12th – 6:30-9:30pm
Introduction to Women’s Ritual Dance
- $25 if registered and paid by October 12th, $30 thereafter
- women only, with sacred/circle or folk dance experience
- Friends Meeting House | 1831 Fern St | Victoria
- victoriadancingcircle(at)gmail(dot)com for registration/information
NEAR VANCOUVER – November 20th – 7:00-9:30pm
Traditional Sacred / Circle Dance
- by donation from $25 – women and men welcome
- previous sacred/circle or folk dance experience recommended
- Ladner United Church – Celebration Hall | 4960 48th Ave | Delta
- circledanceladner(at)gmail(dot)com for registration/information
LAURA SHANNON holds an honours degree in Intercultural Studies (1986) and a postgraduate diploma in Dance Movement Therapy (1990), was trained in Sacred Dance at the Findhorn Foundation in 1987 and has been a faculty member of the Sacred Dance Department there since 1998. She has been researching and teaching traditional folk dances for over thirty years throughout Europe and North America, specializing in Armenian, Greek, Balkan, and Romani (Gypsy) dances, as well as women’s dances, ritual dances and three-measure dances. Laura sees these dances as an ancient mystery school, transmitting information encoded in symbols such as the circle, spiral, zigzag, crescent, and Tree of Life, with roots in the Neolithic civilization of Old Europe which honoured the Goddess.
These dances are simple yet powerful, and rich in meaning. Coming from cultures which have survived many periods of transition, they help us reconnect with ourselves, each other, and the cycles of life.